FAQ - Q6

Q6. What should I do to obtain authorization from copyright owners?

There is no set method to obtain authorization. If both parties agree on the use, then even a verbal agreement is sufficient and binding. However, it is advisable to exchange written documents to preserve evidence.

● Copyright Permission Request Form (Sample) Download (Word 39.5KB)
  Please refer to this document when using the work of others and you require permission from the copyright owner.

Some works copyrights have been entrusted to Copyright Management Service companies registered with the Agency for Cultural Affairs. To get permission to use these works, authorization is obtained through set procedures. Please refer to the Agency for Cultural Affairs website regarding the registration status of Copyright Management Service companies.
A link to the website of Agency For Cultural Affairs (Japanese text only)

Q1. Can I use works of others as educational materials without authorization?
Q2. What is "copyrighted work"?
Q3. What should I do when using foreign copyrighted works as educational materials in Japan or using Japanese copyrighted works as educational materials abroad?
Q4. Do I need to obtain prior authorization to use copyrighted work evenin academic institutions such as universities?
Q5. Can I use a DVD I purchased or a video published on the web for classes?
Q6. What should I do to obtain authorization from copyright owners?
Q7. How can I obtain authorization when using charts etc. published in academic journals as educational materials?
Q8. How can I distribute educational materials including works of others on a website?
Q9. Can I modify and use the copyrighted works of others(e.g. figures and tables)?
Q10. How can I indicate my sources?
Q11. Can I translate and use the copyrighted works as educational materials?
Q12. What should I do with regards copyright processing to publish a recorded lecture
Q13. Do you have any questions about copyright, which don't relate to digital educational material development?